What's New for the 2022 Winter?
- Snowmaking enhancements to the Friday Flat Beginners’ Area: Six new fixed snowmaking funs and four mobile snowmaking guns will add to the already significant snowmaking fleet. The mobile snowmaking guns will significantly enhance Thredbo’s ability to make snow across Friday Flat as well as across the entire resort where and when conditions demand.
- A new Easy Rider T-Bar in the Cruiser Terrain Park Area will increase load capacity by over 35%.
- A number of other major development applications have been submitted to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment. These will see substantial investment over the coming years to develop and enhance some of the most popular areas of the resort, including the:
- development of a new Merritts Mountain House;
- development of a new Alpine Coaster to replace the Thredbo Bobsled – an exciting year-round attraction;
- development of additional mountain biking trails, adding to Thredbo’s already extensive network of graded MTB trails; and
- continuation of Thredbo’s 10-year chairlift replacement plan, designed to update and enhance Thredbo’s lifting infrastructure.
These multi-million dollar developments, when completed, will provide guests with some of the best facilities in the Australian snow and outdoor industry, further enhancing Thredbo’s award-winning reputation as Australia’s premier year-round adventure destination.
To view the full development applications please visit the NSW Department of Planning and Environment.
In 2020, Thredbo officially launched its state-of-the-art, high speed eight-person Merritts Gondola, replacing the Merritts double chairlift. The Merritts Gondola is Australia’s Only Alpine Gondola.
- The new Doppelmayr Merritts Gondola is Australia’s only alpine gondola.
- The Merritts Gondola is a high speed, eight person Gondola that has quadrupled the capacity of the current Merritts Chairlift, lifting approximately 2,000 people per hour.
- Merritts is the first eight-passenger gondola in the Australian snowfields and offers world leading European quality, safety and green technology.
- The new Gondola provides:
- Easier access for Village guests of all abilities to the Friday Flat and Cruiser area
- Fast turnaround access from the Gondola Mid-Station to the Top-Station for intermediate and advanced ski and snowboarders accessing the popular Dream Run and its surrounding tree runs
- Easier access for foot and scenic passengers to the Merritts Mountain House
- Access to mountain bikers and scenic passengers in summer
“Thredbo’s new gondola is driven by a massive slow turning motor which is super quiet and more efficient than a conventional gondola. We would like to commend Thredbo for demonstrating their commitment to sustainability and the environment with the uptake of this innovative technology.”
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!