Thredbo has officially opened its state-of-the-art, high speed eight-person Merritts Gondola, replacing the Merritts double chairlift ahead of the 2020 winter season.
- The new Doppelmayr Merritts Gondola is Australia’s only alpine gondola
- The Merritts Gondola is a high speed, eight person Gondola that will quadruple the capacity of the current Merritts Chairlift, lifting approximately 2,000 people per hour
- Merritts is the first eight-passenger gondola in the Australian snowfields and offers world leading European quality, safety and green technology.
- The new Gondola provides:
- Easier access for Village guests of all abilities to the Friday Flat and Cruiser area
- Fast turnaround access from the Gondola Mid-Station to the Top-Station for intermediate and advanced ski and snowboarders accessing the popular Dream Run and its surrounding tree runs
- Easier access for foot and scenic passengers to the Merritts Mountain House
“Thredbo’s new gondola is driven by a massive slow turning motor which is super quiet and more efficient than a conventional gondola. We would like to commend Thredbo for demonstrating their commitment to sustainability and the environment with the uptake of this innovative technology.”
Other Development News
- Snowmaking added to ‘Dream Run’ for winter 2020. This aptly named popular intermediate to advanced run now has its own automated snowmaking system. This will become a link run allowing better access to Friday Flat and the Mid-Station of the new Merritts Gondola.
- Additional car parking has been added at Friday Flat with 75 additional spaces available for winter 2020.
- A number of other major development applications have been submitted to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment. These will see substantial investment over the next few years to develop and enhance some of the most popular areas of the resort, including:
- the development of a new Friday Flat retail and rental facility;
- the redevelopment and expansion of ‘Thredboland’, Thredbo’s children program centre for snow sports; and
- further car parking facilities.
These multi-million dollar developments, when completed, will provide guests with some of the best facilities in the Australian snow industry, further enhancing Thredbo’s award-winning reputation as Australia’s premier snow resort.
To view the full development applications please visit the NSW Department of Planning and Environment.
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!