New Gondola in winter 2020
Thredbo is proud to announce that a state-of-the-art, high speed Gondola will be built during the 2019/20 summer in Thredbo to replace the Merritts double Chairlift.
- The new Doppelmayr Merritts Gondola will become Australia’s first purpose-built Gondola
- The Merritts Gondola is a high speed, eight person Gondola that will quadruple the capacity of the current Merritts Chairlift, lifting approximately 2,000 people per hour
- The new Gondola will transport skiers, snowboarders and sightseers from the village to the intermediate and beginner terrain of the Cruiser area. The Cruiser area also has access to some of the resort’s advanced trails like Dream Run, meaning the Gondola will benefit all levels of skier and snowboarders, as well as sightseers
- There’ll be a mid-station close to the base of the High Noon trail, allowing guests to access Friday Flat or alternatively load to get to the Cruiser area or to Thredbo Village
- Travel time from the Village to the Cruiser area is approximately six minutes, saving 15 minutes on current times
- Construction will commence in October 2019, following the current 2019 winter
- Guests to Thredbo in 2019 can sneak a peek inside the new Gondola with a Doppelmayr cabin on display at Friday Flat from mid-August 2019
Other Development News
- Snowmaking will be added to the popular ‘Dream Run’ for the 2020 winter, allowing more reliable access to Friday Flat and the mid-station of the Gondola
- Planning is well under way for the construction of additional car parking spaces this summer as Thredbo recognises that the increasing popularity of the resort means parking is at a premium during our peak periods
- A number of other major development applications have been submitted to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment. These will see substantial investment over the next few years to develop and enhance some of the most popular areas of the resort, including:
- the development of a new Friday Flat retail and rental facility;
- the redevelopment and expansion of ‘Thredboland’, Thredbo’s children program centre for snow sports; and
- additional car parking at Friday Flat.
These multi-million dollar developments, when completed, will provide guests with some of the best facilities in the Australian snow industry, further enhancing Thredbo’s award-winning reputation as Australia’s premier snow resort.
To view the full development applications please visit the NSW Department of Planning and Environment.
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!