Festival & Celebrations
Hike for POW with Chris Davenport
Friday 27 Jul, 2018
- Hike to Kozzie8am @ Meet Base of Kosciuszko Express Chairlift
- Drinks & Info Night6pm @ Kosciuszko Room
- Special guestChris Davenport
- Cost$5 donation to POW Australia
Thredbo, Protect Our Winters & Chris Davenport present a day of raising awareness around POW and the importance of protecting our beautiful and unique environment.
Chris Davenport, a two-time World Champion skier from Colorado and a board member of POW is widely regarded as one of the premier big mountain skiers in the world today. Chris is visiting Thredbo to help announce that POW is setting up an Australian chapter and to help spread the important message of looking after our beautiful and unique winter environments around the world.
On Friday 27th of July come join us and Chris for a morning hike to Kozzie for POW, a shred and night of drinks plus inspiring stories to celebrate POW setting up an Australian chapter. On the night Thredbo will also be highlighting some of the significant steps it has taken in the past 12 months to help improve its environmental performance.
**You do not need to register for the presentation in the Kosciuszko Room.
8.00am | Meet Kosciuszko Express Chairlift
8.30am | First lifts
9.00am | Start hike
6.00pm | Drinks & discussion night in the Kozzie Room
Hike for POW
Come join us for a mass hike out to Mt.Kosciuszko with Chris Davenport to raise awareness around protecting our winters!
- Where: Meet at the bottom of Kosciuszko Express chairlift
- When: 8am, Friday, 27 July.
- Who: Open to all skiers and snowboarders aged 16 and over. Please note you must have a beacon, probe and shovel plus hiking equipment to take part in the hike. We will be doing a beacon check on all participants.
- You must be registered to be part of the action.
- Entry Fee: $5 donation to POW Australia.
Thredbo Environmental Initiatives
- This winter, all snowmaking and lift operating emissions will be 100% offset thanks to your new Arnhem Land Fire Abatement (ALFA) partnership.
- Since 2009 Thredbo have partnered with Greenfleet to offset the operation emissions of our entire fleet of snow groomers and company vehicles. You can help out too by purchasing a $4.00 tree to offset your car trip emissions when you buy any lift product.
- Thredbo is a proud partner of Protect Our Winters (POW). POW is a passionate crew of snow enthusiasts who care about protecting our incredible winter environment. Our goal through this partnership is to raise awareness towards the issue of climate change and to continuously improve Thredbo’s environmental performance.
- Thredbo now has collapsible reusable cups! All staff members receive a free cup with the aim to save 42,000 disposable cups from going into landfill over winter. You can purchase a reusable cup from Thredbo retail stores and Thredbo coffee outlets to help protect our winter.
- Thredbo has now removed single use plastic bags from all Thredbo outlets as well as moving to biodegradable and commercially compostable packaging, cutlery and paper straws.
- All of Thredbo’s outlets are now using LED lights as well as the Thredbo Alpine Hotel adding restrictors to all taps and shower heads to reduce flow volume. The installation of waterless urinals alone saves 500,000 litres of water per year.
Thredbo is proud to be the inaugural Australian partner of Protect Our Winters (POW).
POW is a passionate crew of snow enthusiasts, professional athletes and industry partners mobilising the outdoor sports community to lead the charge towards positive climate action.
Our goals in collaborating with POW include raising awareness of the impact of climate change on our mountain environment and to continuously improve Thredbo’s environmental performance.
About Chris Davenport
Chris Davenport, 43, is well known as one of the world’s most accomplished big-mountain skiers, a two-time World Extreme Skiing Champion and a pioneer in ski mountaineering.
The eight episode video series titled Faces of Dav aims to reveal the several faces of Davenport: The Legend, The Father, The Mountaineer, The Adventurer, The Engineer, The Minimalist, The Guide, and The Explorer.
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!