Wander Off The Beaten Path
Duration: 3 hours | 9am
Walk across the snow and into the big white yonder as you are guided to some interesting features and landmarks in Australia’s winter wonderland. Along the way, our knowledgeable guides will inform you about our rich ski history, fragile ecosystem and the indigenous heritage of the region.
This soft adventure is friendly for all who can walk and have a moderate fitness level. A must-do for picture perfect views.
- 3-hour snowshoe tour of stunning landscapes with a knowledgeable guide.
- Runs 9am for 3 hours. Meet 8:45am at the large maps at Valley Terminal.
- Snowshoe rental is included and your guide will bring them at the start of the tour.
- 15-minute scenic chairlift ride with sweeping views of Thredbo Valley and Kosciuszko National Park.
- Explore the stunning Australian Main Range outside the resort boundaries.
- Complimentary Backcountry Access Pass – MyThredbo Card is required. During checkout you can reload to your existing card or add one to your cart ($5).
15+ years only. Full Terms and Conditions
Thredbo Backcountry Tours reserve the right to cancel a tour at any time.
- This may be due to but not limited to any of the following:
- Winds over 80km/hr
- Extreme and continuous weather conditions: rain, hail, snow
- Medical incident
- All tours depart promptly. Should participants not be present and prepared at these times the tour will depart. No refunds will be given for late arrivals or no shows.
- Weather and snow conditions dictate which tours can operate. Should conditions force the cancellation of your chosen tour alternate routes may be offered.
- If all tours and alternates are forced to be cancelled by conditions and weather a full refund will be issued.
- No refund will be issued if the tour is cancelled or the goal of the tour is not met during the activity. This includes but is not limited to:
- Injury sustained to participant or guide resulting in appropriate modification to tour
- Immediate cancellation of remainder of the tour to affect first aid and evacuation
- Unforeseen extreme weather or conditions
During this tour you will be travelling through the day and temperatures vary, so using a layering system is recommended. As this is a long walk in a remote location being prepared is essential including full wet weather gear.
- MyThredbo Card
- Waterproof jacket and pants
- Enclosed weatherproof shoes, preferably boots with good socks (no ankle socks).
- Layers to adjust throughout the day (thermals, mid layers, puffer layer)
- Gloves, beanie, buff
- Hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, SPF lip balm
- Goggles on windy or snowy days
- Minimum 1L of water per person
- Have a solid breakfast and bring lunch and snacks
- Personal medication (e.g. Ventolin)
- Backpack to carry everything
It’s important to let your guide know if you have any pre-existing medical conditions (such as motion sickness, fear of heights, heart conditions, pregnancy, asthma and musculoskeletal issues) prior to the tour. This will help us cater the tour to your needs and make your trip more enjoyable.
We encourage guests to Leave No Trace and observe the Backcountry Responsibility Code:
- Have the skills and the fitness – know your skiing/riding ability and stay in control at all times.
- Check the weather and Alpine Hazard Report before departing
- Have the right gear – including avalanche recue basics
- Leave what you find – do not pick or remove anything natural
- Dial it back and space it out
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners and Custodians of country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, waters and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures, and Elders past, present and future.
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!
Thredbo sits on the traditional land of the Monero – Ngarigo people who have looked after this land, water and community for over 60,000 years. We thank them for all they have done and continue to do to look after their country, a special place which we all love and respect.