Alpine Lakes Hike
presented by Defender
Hike Australia’s most scenic terrain. This hike takes you past five pristine glacial lakes and the country’s highest peaks. Includes a return shuttle to Thredbo from Charlotte Pass.
- 15-minute scenic chairlift ride with sweeping views of Thredbo Valley and Kosciuszko National Park
- Your guide will point out endemic flora and fauna thriving in unlikely places
- Learn how the stunning glacial lakes were formed and their importance in the alpine
- Take photos of grand sweeping views beyond the famous Western Faces
- Discover the rubble of lodges in the alpine from the early days of skiing in Australia
- Stop for afternoon tea by Blue Lake
- Rock hop across the famous Snowy River
- End the walk within the gnarled snowgums at Charlotte Pass
- Return via a luxury 4WD Defender in time for sunset at Thredbo Village
15+ years only. Full Terms & Conditions
Hiking with family and friends? Book a private hike to experience the natural beauty of Australia’s highest mountains on a day that suits your schedule.
- Before The Hike
- Meet and greet with your experienced guide
- Guide will load 1-day Scenic Lift Access onto your MyThredbo card
- Departure time: 8.50am outside Valley Terminal at the large Walks & Hikes map
- Distance: 19km
- Grade 4: Bushwalking experience recommended. Tracks may be long, rough and very steep.
- Check the weather here. Please be aware that guided hikes go ahead in most weather conditions.
- Age: 15+ Years
- Return: Transport from Charlottes Pass to Thredbo in a Land Rover Defender.
We recommend checking the weather beforehand and pack for all weather conditions.
As we will be travelling throughout the day temperatures vary, so using a layering system is recommended with many light layers, especially on your upper body. As this is a long walk in a remote location being prepared is essential including full wet weather gear.
- Waterproof/wind stopper jacket, rain pants are also recommended.
- A warm layer, fleece or wool is ideal.
- Minimum 2L of water per person.
- Hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Enclosed walking shoes, preferably boots with good socks.
- Lunch and snacks.
- Gloves and a warm hat.
- Any medication that might be needed (eg. Ventolin).
It’s important to let your guide know if you have any pre-existing medical conditions (such as motion sickness, fear of heights, heart conditions, pregnancy, asthma and musculoskeletal issues) prior to the walk. This will help us cater the walk to your needs and make your trip more enjoyable.
Thredbo Guided Hikes reserves the right to cancel a hike at any time.
This may be due to but not limited to any of the following:
- Winds over 70km/hour
- Extreme weather conditions: fire, rain, hail or snow
- Poor air quality
- Medical incident
In the event that a hike is cancelled prior to the commencement date, a full refund will be issued. No refund will be issued if the hike is cancelled or the goal of the hike is not met during the activity.
We encourage guests to Leave No Trace and observe the Hiking Responsibility Code:
- Pack a reusable water bottle – our guides will point out the refill station at the bottom of the chairlifts
- Dispose of all waste properly – no bins are located on hiking trails; all waste is to be disposed in appropriate locations across Thredbo Village
- Travel on durable surfaces – remain on designated walking tracks or travel on surfaces which can tolerate trampling. Much of the alpine ecosystem is fragile and cannot recover from trampling
- Leave what you find – do not pick or remove anything natural
- Respect wildlife – appreciate wildlife through quiet and observation from afar
- Be considerate of hosts and other visitors – remain on left hand side of hiking trails to allow for 2-way traffic and others to pass. Do not play music aloud when hiking.
Looking for your next hike?
Sunset Hike – Mt Kosciuszko
Sunset at Australia’s Highest Peak
Distance: 13km return
Hike Type: Guided Only
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!
Thredbo sits on the traditional land of the Monero – Ngarigo people who have looked after this land, water and community for over 60,000 years. We thank them for all they have done and continue to do to look after their country, a special place which we all love and respect.