Sunset Hike – Mt Kosciuszko
Distance: 13km return Grade: 3
Highlights: Sunset from Australia’s highest peak, stargazing on the return journey
Watch the sunset from the top of iconic Mt Kosciuszko on this unforgettable bucket list experience.
- 15-minute scenic chairlift ride with sweeping views of Thredbo Valley and Kosciuszko National Park
- On the walk up you pass granite tors, running rivers, alpine lakes and iconic Snowy Mountains scenery
- Your guide will point out native flora and endemic species at regular break points
- Along the way, take photos at Kosciuszko Lookout, Lake Cootapatamba and great scenic spots during golden hour
- Enjoy a hot chocolate or tea at the summit (2,228m elevation) as you watch sunset
- After watching Mother Nature’s spectacular show, take the return path under the iconic Milky Way (with head torches provided)
- 4WD meets you at Eagles Nest to return you to Thredbo Village.
The Sunset Hike is is one of our most popular walks so we recommend booking in advance to avoid disappointment!
15+ years only. Full Terms & Conditions
- Meeting Time: Dependent on sunset time
- Meeting Location: Outside Valley Terminal at the large Walks & Hikes map. View Map
- Before The Hike:
- Meet and greet with your experienced guide and the rest of the group (max 10)
- Guide will load 1-day Scenic Lift Access onto your MyThredbo card
- Return to Thredbo: 4WD meets you at Eagles Nest to return you to Thredbo Village.
- Age: 15+ Years
Thredbo Guided Hikes reserves the right to cancel a hike at any time.
This may be due to but not limited to any of the following:
- Winds over 70km/hour
- Extreme weather conditions: fire, rain, hail or snow
- Poor air quality
- Medical incident
In the event that a hike is cancelled prior to the commencement date, a full refund will be issued. No refund will be issued if the hike is cancelled or the goal of the hike is not met during the activity.
As we will be hiking from the warmer afternoon into the cooler/cold evening a layering system with many light layers is recommended to deal with the changing temperatures. We recommend that you pack for all weather conditions when heading up the mountain…
- Waterproof/wind stopper jacket, rain pants are also recommended.
- A warm layer, fleece or wool is ideal.
- Minimum 1L of water per person.
- Hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Enclosed walking shoes, preferably boots with good socks.
- Dinner and snacks (food outlets will be closed on your return to Thredbo so remember to pack something hearty).
- Gloves and a warm hat.
- Any medication that might be needed (eg. Ventolin).
It’s important to let your guide know if you have any pre-existing medical conditions (such as motion sickness, fear of heights, heart conditions, pregnancy, asthma and musculoskeletal issues) prior to the walk. This will help us cater the walk to your needs and make your trip more enjoyable.
We encourage guests to Leave No Trace and observe the Hiking Responsibility Code:
- Pack a reusable water bottle – our guides will point out the refill station at the bottom of the chairlifts
- Dispose of all waste properly – no bins are located on hiking trails; all waste is to be disposed in appropriate locations across Thredbo Village
- Travel on durable surfaces – remain on designated walking tracks or travel on surfaces which can tolerate trampling. Much of the alpine ecosystem is fragile and cannot recover from trampling
- Leave what you find – do not pick or remove anything natural
- Respect wildlife – appreciate wildlife through quiet and observation from afar
- Be considerate of hosts and other visitors – remain on left hand side of hiking trails to allow for 2-way traffic and others to pass. Do not play music aloud when hiking.
Looking for your next hike?
Our Most Photogenic Hike?
Distance: 7km or 15km return
Hike Type: Guided Only
Australia’s 5 Highest Glacial Lakes
Distance: 19km return
Hike Type: Guided Only
Thredbo sits on the traditional land of the Monero – Ngarigo people who have looked after this land, water and community for over 70,000 years. We thank them for all they have done and continue to do to look after their country, a special place which we all love and respect.
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!