Dead Horse Gap Hike
Grade: 3 Distance: 10km circuit
Highlights: Unique Snowy Mountains landscape; granite tors, alpine snowgums & Thredbo river
Hike Type: Guided or Self Guided
This is one of the best hikes in the area! Mostly downhill and with spectacular views, you descend just over 300 vertical metres from the top of the Kosciuszko Express Chairlift to Dead Horse Gap. There is an abundance of wildflowers and the twisted snowgums are incredible. Once at Dead Horse Gap, make your way back to Thredbo along the Thredbo River and take in the sounds and sights of beautiful waterfalls.
The hike takes roughly 4-5 hours with plenty of stunning sights to take in along the way.
Get the most of your hike with a guide. You can learn about the unique features of the landscape, plants and animals – and how we can help protect the fragile ecosystem.
Thredbo Guided Hikes reserves the right to cancel a hike at any time.
This may be due to but not limited to any of the following:
- Winds over 70km/hour
- Extreme weather conditions: fire, rain, hail or snow
- Poor air quality
- Medical incident
In the event that a hike is cancelled prior to the commencement date, a full refund will be issued. No refund will be issued if the hike is cancelled or the goal of the hike is not met during the activity.
We recommend checking the weather before you head out and pack for all weather conditions.
- Waterproof/wind stopper jacket, rain pants are also recommended.
- A warm layer, fleece or wool is ideal.
- Minimum 1L of water per person.
- Hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Enclosed walking shoes, preferably boots with good socks.
- Gloves and a warm hat.
- Any medication that might be needed (eg. Ventolin).
- Swimmers and towel (if you plan to take a dip in the river on the return trip to Thredbo)
If you are on a guided hike, it’s important to let your guide know if you have any pre-existing medical conditions (such as motion sickness, fear of heights, heart conditions, pregnancy, asthma and musculoskeletal issues) prior to the walk. This will help us cater the walk to your needs and make your trip more enjoyable.
We encourage guests to Leave No Trace and observe the Hiking Responsibility Code:
- Pack a reusable water bottle – our guides will point out the refill station at the bottom of the chairlifts
- Dispose of all waste properly – no bins are located on hiking trails; all waste is to be disposed in appropriate locations across Thredbo Village
- Travel on durable surfaces – remain on designated walking tracks or travel on surfaces which can tolerate trampling. Much of the alpine ecosystem is fragile and cannot recover from trampling
- Leave what you find – do not pick or remove anything natural
- Respect wildlife – appreciate wildlife through quiet and observation from afar
- Be considerate of hosts and other visitors – remain on left hand side of hiking trails to allow for 2-way traffic and others to pass. Do not play music aloud when hiking.
Looking for your next hike?
Sunset Hike – Mt Kosciuszko
Sunset & Stargazing from Australia’s Highest Peak
Distance: 13km return
Hike Type: Guided Only
Australia’s 5 Highest Glacial Lakes
Distance: 19km return
Hike Type: Guided Only
Thredbo sits on the traditional land of the Monero – Ngarigo people who have looked after this land, water and community for over 70,000 years. We thank them for all they have done and continue to do to look after their country, a special place which we all love and respect.
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!