Geminids Meteor Shower – Mt Kosciuszko
Take in the wonder of one of the largest annual meteor showers from the top of Mt Kosciuszko, away from city lights.
- Travel to the top of Kosciuszko Chairlift by 4WD to begin the hike
- On the walk up you pass granite tors, running rivers and alpine lakes (with head torches provided)
- Your guide will point out native flora and nocturnal endemic species at regular break points
- Enjoy a hot chocolate or tea at the summit (2,228m elevation) as you witness around 120 meteors per hour
- After watching Mother Nature’s spectacular show, take the return path as the first light of the day reaches the mountain tops
- A luxury 4WD Defender meets you at Eagles Nest to return you to Thredbo Village
This hike is one of our most popular walks so we recommend booking in advance to avoid disappointment!
15+ years only. Full Terms & Conditions
- Before The Hike
- Meet your guide at 2pm at the Lounge Bar, Thredbo Alpine Hotel for a briefing
- Departure Time: 9pm outside Valley Terminal at the large Walks & Hikes map. View Map
- Return to Thredbo: 4WD meets you at Eagles Nest to return you to Thredbo Village approx 4:30am.
- Grade 3 Walk: Suitable for most ages. The track is on an elevated metal grate, part paved along the way. At the end there’s a short steep section.
- Age:15+ Years
As this is an evening hike, we recommend a layering system with many light layers is recommended to deal with the changing temperatures. We recommend that you pack for all weather conditions when heading up the mountain…
- Waterproof/wind stopper jacket, rain pants are also recommended.
- A warm layer, fleece or wool is ideal.
- Fleece blanket.
- Minimum 1L of water per person.
- Enclosed walking shoes, preferably boots with good socks.
- Gloves and a warm hat.
- Any medication that might be needed (eg. Ventolin).
It’s important to let your guide know if you have any pre-existing medical conditions (such as motion sickness, fear of heights, heart conditions, pregnancy, asthma and musculoskeletal issues) prior to the walk. This will help us cater the walk to your needs and make your trip more enjoyable.
Thredbo Guided Hikes reserves the right to cancel a hike at any time.
This may be due to but not limited to any of the following:
- Winds over 70km/hour
- Extreme weather conditions: fire, rain, hail or snow
- Poor air quality
- Medical incident
In the event that a hike is cancelled prior to the commencement date, a full refund will be issued. No refund will be issued if the hike is cancelled or the goal of the hike is not met during the activity.
- We encourage guests to Leave No Trace and observe the Hiking Responsibility Code:
- Pack a reusable water bottle – our guides will point out the refill station at the bottom of the chairlifts
- Dispose of all waste properly – no bins are located on hiking trails; all waste is to be disposed in appropriate locations across Thredbo Village
- Travel on durable surfaces – remain on designated walking tracks or travel on surfaces which can tolerate trampling. Much of the alpine ecosystem is fragile and cannot recover from trampling
- Leave what you find – do not pick or remove anything natural
- Respect wildlife – appreciate wildlife through quiet and observation from afar
- Be considerate of hosts and other visitors – remain on left hand side of hiking trails to allow for 2-way traffic and others to pass. Do not play music aloud when hiking.
Looking for your next hike?
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!
Thredbo sits on the traditional land of the Monero – Ngarigo people who have looked after this land, water and community for over 60,000 years. We thank them for all they have done and continue to do to look after their country, a special place which we all love and respect.