Geminids Meteor Shower – Mt Kosciuszko
Distance: 13km return Grade: 3
Highlights: Annual astronomic event at Australia’s highest peak
2021 Schedule: 14-15 Dec
Take in the wonder of one of the largest annual meteor showers from the top of Mt Kosciuszko, away from city lights.
- Meet your group at 2pm for a pre-hike briefing
- Return 4WD journey from Thredbo Village to Eagles Nest (departing around midnight)
- Walk up to the summit under starlight (with head torches provided)
- Your guide will point out nocturnal species at regular break points
- Enjoy a hot chocolate or tea at the summit (2,228m elevation)
- Settle back and admire up to 120 meteors per hour (from 3am – 4.30am)
- After watching the cosmic show, take the return path under the glow of first light
- Buffet breakfast at Cascades Restaurant upon return
The 2021 Geminids Meteor Shower Hike is sold out.
15+ years only. Full Terms & Conditions
- When: 14 – 15 December 2021
- Meeting Time: 12:30am
- Meeting Location: Thredbo Alpine Hotel Lounge Bar
- Before The Hike: At 2pm, meet and greet with your experienced guide and the rest of the group (max 10)
- Return to Thredbo: 4WD meets you at Eagles Nest to return you to Cascades Restaurant for a buffet breakfast
- Age: 15+ Years
Thredbo Guided Hikes reserves the right to cancel a hike at any time.
This may be due to but not limited to any of the following:
- Winds over 70km/hour
- Extreme weather conditions: fire, rain, hail or snow
- Poor air quality
- Medical incident
In the event that a hike is cancelled prior to the commencement date, a full refund will be issued. No refund will be issued if the hike is cancelled or the goal of the hike is not met during the activity.
As this is an evening hike, we recommend a layering system with many light layers is recommended to deal with the changing temperatures. We recommend that you pack for all weather conditions when heading up the mountain…
- Waterproof/wind stopper jacket, rain pants are also recommended.
- A warm layer, fleece or wool is ideal.
- Fleece blanket.
- Minimum 1L of water per person.
- Enclosed walking shoes, preferably boots with good socks.
- Gloves and a warm hat.
- Any medication that might be needed (eg. Ventolin).
It’s important to let your guide know if you have any pre-existing medical conditions (such as motion sickness, fear of heights, heart conditions, pregnancy, asthma and musculoskeletal issues) prior to the walk. This will help us cater the walk to your needs and make your trip more enjoyable.
- We encourage guests to Leave No Trace and observe the Hiking Responsibility Code:
- Pack a reusable water bottle – our guides will point out the refill station at the bottom of the chairlifts
- Dispose of all waste properly – no bins are located on hiking trails; all waste is to be disposed in appropriate locations across Thredbo Village
- Travel on durable surfaces – remain on designated walking tracks or travel on surfaces which can tolerate trampling. Much of the alpine ecosystem is fragile and cannot recover from trampling
- Leave what you find – do not pick or remove anything natural
- Respect wildlife – appreciate wildlife through quiet and observation from afar
- Be considerate of hosts and other visitors – remain on left hand side of hiking trails to allow for 2-way traffic and others to pass. Do not play music aloud when hiking.
Looking for your next hike?
Australia’s Second Highest Peak
Distance: 22km return
Hike Type: Guided Only
Guided Hike Schedule: Book a private guide
Australia’s 5 Highest Glacial Lakes
Distance: 19km return
Hike Type: Guided Only
Guided Hike Schedule: 7-28 Jan 2022 or book a private guide
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners and Custodians of country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, waters and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures, and Elders past, present and future.
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!