Register Now for 2022 Try Outs
Thredbo Mountain Academy is Thredbo’s 12 week snow sports training program, offering 44 training days in four different disciplines.
This program is specifically designed for athletes aged from 10+ years looking to get to the highest level in their chosen discipline. Over the course of the 12 week program, participants will train, compete and progress to become well rounded, consistent, and ambitious athletes within their discipline. Whilst we work hard on and off snow to create the best athletic outcomes this program is also all about passion, dedication, enjoyment and most importantly fun!
Thredbo Mountain Academy has worked extensively with Snow Australia to become a key partner and pathway provider to ensure the continued growth and success of future Australian winter sports athletes.
Register Now for 2022 Try Outs
We are holding ski and snowboard try outs for the following disciplines on Saturday 28 August.
- When: 9am – 12pm, Saturday 28 August
- Meet: Outside Thredboland at Friday Flat
- Disciplines: Alpine, Moguls, Ski Slopestyle, Snowboard Slopestyle, Boardercross and Ski Multi Discipline
- Lift pass is required. If you do not have a Thredbo season pass, you can opt in for complimentary lift access for the day of the try out.
- Register: Email email@example.com to register for try outs
- Dedicated discipline focused training including;
- Progressional slopestyle parks
- Multiple moguls lines
- Dedicated Snowboard Cross track
- Alpine GS and Slalom training pistes
- Planned and structured training with the opportunity for early morning and night training
- Individual performance plans and competition preparation
- Discounted healthy lunches
- Nutrition, equipment preparation and strength and conditioning support
- Access to supervised dryland training including gym, sports hall, pool, gymnastics and ACE trampoline (accredited coaches)
How do I join Thredbo Mountain Academy?
Athletes must complete attend a try out date in the season prior where our high performance coaches will assess the abilities of each athlete.
Try Out Day for the 2022 Program is Saturday 28 August 2021.
- Desire to compete at the highest level with the potential to reach state and national team level
- Consistent individual competition results at State Interschools or higher
- Demonstrated ongoing commitment to season long training plus off season training and overall fitness
- Strong all-mountain athlete on and off-piste
- Strong baseline core skills and fundamentals
- Prepared to travel to events if required
Invite to the Program
Following the try out date we will contact all athletes. Full program details will be shared with successful applicants early-2022.
High Performance Coaches
All programs have highly qualified coaches, boasting decades of experience. They include Olympians, World Champions, current and past athletes and coaches with the highest levels of certification. All coaches are specialised within their discipline.
2021 Mountain Academy Disciplines
The Thredbo Mountain Academy program runs from 12 June – 18 September 2021 and features 44 training days in total.
Disciplines available in 2021:
- Ski – Alpine
- Ski – Multi Discipline
- Snowboard – Snowboard Cross
- Snowboard – Slopestyle
What You Need To Know
- Age: Must be 10+ years old
- Training Schedule: 12 June – 18 September 2021
- 44 training days in total
- Schedule is specific to each discipline. Times and days vary depending on competition, facility availability and conditions.
- Equipment Storage: Athletes will have access to a locker in the Thredbo Leisure Centre
- Competition License: Snow Australia Membership highly recommended to enable competition entry
- Concussion Policy:
- Thredbo Mountain Academy follows the Snow Australia concussion policy
- A baseline concussion test is highly recommended prior to program commencement, test results may be delivered to the Seasonal Programs Supervisor. Please note this cost is not included in the program fee. Baseline test provider details will be provided in a program welcome message.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, NSW Active Kids Vouchers can be applied to season long programs including Thredbo Mountain Academy.
You must check the NSW Active Kids Voucher option when you book the program online.
In the first couple of weeks of the program there can be group changes to ensure all children are at similar ability levels. We aim to have every child skiing or snowboarding with the same group and coach for the remainder of the season to ensure consistency.
Every day is a training day. If the weather is inclement the group will choose the most appropriate time to get out and make the most of it on portions of the mountain that will have the best conditions at the time. It is also important to train in these conditions to improve consistency as the same weather may be present on any given competition day your child may be participating in.
The coaches may also include dry land training at Thredbo Leisure Centre, utilising the sports hall, suitable fitness equipment and the trampolining facilities.
It is recommended that athletes attend all training days, however we do understand that illness and other life commitments can at times interfere with snow days.
Missed training days cannot be made up as the coach will be allocated/present and the group will train regardless of athlete attendance.
Each individual coach and athlete will have their own equipment needs. Please talk with your coach.
Helmets should be professionally fitted and appropriate for snow sports use. Hard-eared helmets are suggested for gate training. Boots should be professionally fitted to ensure sizing and stiffness is suitable for the athlete.
At times dry land gear will be required. Shorts, T-Shirt, running shoes and socks as well as a water bottle. This gear is to be given to coaches on arrival.
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!