MTB Fundamentals Clinic
Recommended for beginner mountain bikers looking to progress their skills on gravity terrain, this clinic focuses on the fundamentals of mountain biking.
The clinic introduces the correct body positioning, braking techniques, bike control and cornering.
It is a great introduction to the gravity trails in the park including Sidewinder and Centre Link. Participants in this clinic should be comfortable riding along dirt roads, off a small gutter or over a small rock.
- Class size: Max 4
- Location: Beginner (green) gravity trails in the MTB Park
- Meeting Time: 9:50am for a 10am start
- Meeting Location: MTB School flags at the Beginner Skills Park. View Map
- Duration: 2 Hours
- Before The Lesson: Meet and greet with your instructor. You will be allocated to a group based on your ability level and age (7-13 years or 14+ years)
- Pick Up: Children can be picked up at midday at the meeting location
- Weekends and Peak Periods: If you plan to pick up your MyThredbo Card or bike rental before your lesson, please leave sufficient time to do so. Please note, during peak holiday and weekend periods in-resort wait times may be lengthy (up to 45 minutes)
- Your MyThredbo card which gives you MTB lift access
- Comfortable riding clothes including MTB riding shorts or pants
- Dual suspension mountain bike (Enduro or Downhill) with disc brakes is highly recommended. However a mountain bike with front suspension and two functional brakes with handle bar levels (no back pedal brakes) is the minimum requirement
- Protective equipment – Helmet (full-face highly recommended), knee pads, elbow guards, gloves, goggles and sturdy closed toe shoes
- Small backpack or hydration pack with extra layers and wet weather gear
Check out some of the beginner gravity trails we’ll be hitting during the MTB Fundamentals Clinic…
Beginner Skills Park
The beginner skills park located at the Valley Terminal base is a great place to warm up before a days riding. Featuring small rock gardens, berms and rollers, the skills park is perfect to practice your skills at including cornering, braking and body position.
‘Sidewinder’ is a brand new gravity flow trail descending from the top of the Merritts Gondola and wraps around the side of the mountain through some incredible terrain everyone can enjoy. Graded as a beginner tail, ‘Sidewinder’ will take riders on a roller coaster like experience with little pedalling and braking required. The trail features deep flowing berms, rolling terrain and some small features to test your skills on. ‘Sidewinder’ will provide mountains of fun for all abilities.
Centre Link gives riders green run access to the Flow Trail. Starting at the top of the Gunbarrel Express Chairlift, it follows the winter ‘Catwalk’ and is a great starting point for those new to the mountain bike park. Featuring easy traverses, small rollers and a steady gradient, it will get you warmed up before tackling the intermediate trails.
Explore All MTB Clinic Levels
Private MTB Clinic
Riding with friends and family?
Hire an instructor clinic for a group of up to 3 riders.
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!
Thredbo sits on the traditional land of the Monero – Ngarigo people who have looked after this land, water and community for over 70,000 years. We thank them for all they have done and continue to do to look after their country, a special place which we all love and respect.