Kids MTB Programs
Thredbo MTB prides itself in delivering premium development skills programs for kids ages 7-14 years. Led by some of Australia’s best PMBIA (Professional Mountain Bike Instructor Association) qualified instructors, these programs are designed to develop kids skills in the gravity side of mountain biking.
If you’re visiting Thredbo for more than a week in December or January, our School Holiday MTB Camps are designed for quick progression across all trails in the Thredbo Mountain Bike Park.
Our MTB Development Squad forms part of the pathway to competing at a regional, state or national level where we provide in depth feedback on the riders’ talent and skill. This term long program commences in January 2021.
The 9-week MTB Development Squad is a fantastic way to challenge and inspire young mountain bikers in fun controlled environment utilising a variety of trails within the Thredbo MTB Park.
Participants will be encouraged and given specific instruction to develop their confidence and skill set in a number of areas such as body position, braking, cornering and small jumps. All levels will be offered, however riders must have some prior off-road riding experience.
Schedule & Pricing
- Every Sunday from Sunday 31st Jan – Sunday 28th March 2021
- 10am – 12pm
- Meet at the special programs flag at the base of the Kosziuszko Express Chairlift at 9:50am
- 9 x 2 hour clinics starting Sunday 31 January 2021
- Class size limited to MAX5 per group
- Report Card outlining skills progression and improvements
- Complimentary SENDY Jersey for every participant
- Beginner: Held on the valley floor, the beginner group does not utilise the gravity trails. This group is designed for new comers to mountain biking and focuses on the fundamentals of riding. The aim is to advance to the gravity trails on the last day of the program.
- Intermediate: The intermediate clinic utilises the gravity trails within the MTB Park. The group will work on skills to ride safely including correct body position, heavy braking, cornering, small jumps and drops. This clinic will predominantly be held on the intermediate gravity trails with the aim of riding the Cannonball Downhill by the last day of the program.
- Advanced: The advanced clinic will utilise all trails in the MTB Park giving riders insight into correct line choices, aggressive riding positions and dynamic cornering. The group will also utilise the jump parks to improve their jumping and drop skills. This is ideal for riders who are looking at getting into competitive downhill mountain biking.
- Bikes must have two functional brakes with handle bar levers (no back pedal brakes)
- Kids must have helmet (full-face recommended), knee pads, gloves and sturdy closed toe shoes as a minimum.
- Bikes, helmets & armour is available for rent from Thredbo MTB Rental
School Holiday Camps
School Holiday MTB Camps are a great way for kids to develop their gravity skills in the Thredbo Mountain Bike Park. Catering for kids aged 7 – 14 years, students will work on mountain biking fundamentals, gravity specific riding techniques, pump track skills, plus some valuable bike setup and maintenance workshops.
Your child will be allocated to a small class (maximum 5 per class) with a dedicated instructor to maximise progression and riding time. On the last day, we’ll send them home with a report card outlining their areas of improvement.
Returning December 2021
- Tuition with a group size of Max5 particpants
- Lunch from The Bakery: Salad roll + water or juice
- Leisure Centre Access
- Report Card outlining skills progression and improvements.
What You Need To Know
- Meeting Time: 9:30am at the Special Programs Flag at the base of the Kosciuszko Express Chairlift
- Pick Up Time: 3:30pm at the Special Programs Flag at the base of the Kosciuszko Express Chairlift
- Ability Levels:
- Intermediate – Riders should have ridden Easy Street & Kosciuszko Flow as a minimum
- Advanced – Riders should be confident on all trails in the MTB Park and have some experience on the Cannonball Downhill
What To Bring
- Mountain bike with two functional brakes and handle bar levels (no back pedal brakes)
- Protective equipment: Helmet (Full-face recommended), knee pads, gloves, sturdy closed toe shoes
- Small backpack or hydration pack with extra layers packed in case the weather changes
*Bikes, helmets & armour are available for rent from Thredbo MTB Rental
9:30am: Meet your instructor and run through the plan for the day including goal setting
9:45am: Warm-up and “back to basics” skills session at the Skills Park or Pump Track
10:30am: Load Gunbarrel or Kosciuszko Express for Gravity Skills Sessions
12:15pm: Lunch at the Bakery
1:00pm: Load Gunbarrel or Kosciuszko Express for afternoon Gravity Skills Session
3:15pm: Debrief with review of skills improvements throughout the day
Follow us on social
Sign up for news
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive deals, the latest weather, forecasts, news, events and more!